Quick Indian Recipe’s
Friday night I did something unusual, I made a quick version of a biriyani and it tasted really nice, so I thought I would tell you about it. Firstly I should say that there is definitely no short cuts to making a good biriyani, so if you have the time, you should look at http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/534257 for a good Madhur Jaffrey recipe.
So this isn’t really a biriyani recipe, but a curry and rice recipe cooked together. It took 20 minutes start to finish, certainly quicker than the local takeaway and I think tasted nicer.
1 onion, diced
1 chopped chilli
1tbsp ghee or oil
1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
1 jar of tomato based sauce
2 packets of microwaveable rice
1. Heat a pan and add the ghee or oil.
2. Add the diced onion and fry until soft and starts to brown.
3. Add the chilli and soften.
4. Add the curry powder and cook until the raw spice smell disappears
5. Add the meatballs. (if using raw meatballs as apposed to the cooked ones you can get in the supermarket, then make sure that you brown them all over.
6. Add the tomato based sauce. I had some leftover homemade sauce from the night before, with added vegetables. I also added some water at this point so that it seemed a little bit too watery for a sauce, but remember the rice will absorb a lot of water. I then simmered this for a few minutes, to make sure that the meatballs were cooked/reheated all the way through.
7. Add the microwaveable rice and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
This is by no means a authentic Indian recipe, but it did taste good.
Another good place to look for Indian recipes is www.tarladalal.com who has some great biriyani recipes including a really nice kofta biriyani which looks like this:
I will try and put up some other recipes soon, try them and let me know what you think.